This kind of personal bravery demands celebration


Laveranues Coles Wide receiver for the NY Jets
I am not heavily into American Football but this man was braver today than even some CFL players I've seen on the field(and remember...CFL has no fair catch rule and only 3 downs LOL!)
Today on the Oprah Winfrey show he revealed for the first time in public how his step father had been sexually abusing him starting at the age of 10. It happened sometimes at gunpoint.(--Why would a grown man feel the need to use a weapon for this horrible act on a small child!?-- )The abuse went on untill the persistance of a police officer finally coaxed the truth from the young man.
His shame crippled Laveranues to keep silent about his suffering for years. To finally discuss this in such a public way is beyond brave. It's down right heroic!
How difficult it must be for this big strong football player to confess about how frightened he was and still feels that fear when he thinks of his step father?
He may never realize how many people he is helping with this huge step in his recovery. If he is to find peace in anything after such a tragic part of his life is revealed he can at least find peace in that. He is helping millions. I still believe the hardest, most frightening thing to do in life is to live authentically. Truth is scarey, especially when you have been trained since childhood to keep secrets.

http://www2.oprah.com/tows/slide/200510/20051018/slide_20051018_284_101.jhtml

May God bless you Laveranues!

Comments

Dr. Deb said…
The more high profile people talk about "the unspeakable", the more people will realize that there is no shame to get help. You are right, he is a HERO!

~Deb
chase said…
I saw that! I was blown away, I didn't even watch the rest of the show. Did you see the smile on him...it was almost like you could see him blossoming under the release and mother love of those women.

And his mom never talked to him about it? thats sick..I mean I heard her excuse, but come on now, thats your baby.

thanks for talking about it.
chase said…
is your blog page rueme, based on rumi? just thought i'd ask :)
Rue said…
No...'Rue' is my favourite nickname based on my real name. It was given to me by my best friend. 'Me' as in "me is Rue"..LOL..although you could put it down to people rue me for my opinions.They may rue the moment they think they can overwelm me with right winged opinions believing that "bleeding heart liberals" have no teeth! ;)
Thanks for asking and for your comments and interest...You too DEB!
*hugs*
Karen said…
bravo !
I am so happy to see people like him coming into the spotlight to tell their story. so many children live through years of abuse too afraid to tell someone. now it is becoming easier for them because of things like this. lets hope that kids currently being abused saw it and sought help.
hugs,
Karen

Popular Posts