John Murtha's own words

More and more I am hearing 'versions' of what Congressman John Murtha had to say about the lack of an exit strategy for the war in Iraq. I finally decided to go to his website and read it from the horses mouth here it is:



I'm hearing from more and more people who ask what our strategy is for resolving the conflict in Iraq and when our troops will be able to come home, and I want to provide you with an update on this issue.

I have been pressing this administration for more than two years to provide an exit strategy for this war. I’ve been urging the acceleration of the training of Iraqis so that we can turn over security to them and get our troops home. I’ve pressed for greater urgency in getting the Iraqi infrastructure in place to put more Iraqis to work. I held a national press conference with House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi to again publicly call on this administration to provide clear measurable objectives for our progress in Iraq. At that press conference, I said the following:

"… I think we’re confronting a crisis of immense proportion in Iraq, and it’s coming faster than the people realize. The lack of clear objectives and consistent policies has left us with a weakened security both at home and abroad. (There is) a weakening of public support not for our troops, who have done everything we’ve asked of them, but of the president and his job in Iraq. There’s a difference between supporting the troops and continuing to support a failed policy. It’s up to the president to clearly define the goals and objectives of what constitutes success in Iraq. The American people deserve this. Even more important, the troops deserve to hear what the policy is."

That’s why, in the Supplemental Defense Appropriations bill passed early in May, my colleagues and I urged the administration to provide better information about its plans for exiting Iraq. Despite a July 11 deadline, we still have not received a response.
Our troops have performed extremely well in an intense conflict, and we all owe our gratitude to them and their families for the sacrifices they are making. I assure you I will continue to work as hard as I can to bring our actions in Iraq to a close.


John Murtha's website

I couldn't have said it better myself.Agree or disagree, you decide. Personally I think this administration has proven itself irresponsible on many levels and in many instances. I think that once constitutions are signed and elections are complete The American Troops (God bless them!) must leave as thier goal is complete and it will be time to leave Iraq to the Iraqi. There really isn't much choice after that.

Comments

Dr. Deb said…
Yup. I couldn't agree more.

Popular Posts