An Australian gay bar has got the right to turn away heterosexuals and lesbians


article



We have had gay bars in my area for years...long before "coming out" became almost a norm. Trust me, Anyone who doesn't want to be in a gay bar really doesn't stay long once they discover what it is. If they stay and start being beligerent, they are removed because of the behavior not because of thier sexuality. That is as it should be. How can this ever be thought of as a positive step in the right direction. Isn't this the very thing that homosexuals have been fighting against for themselves? Discrimination based on sexual orientation? I don't know how anyone could justify this.

Comments

United We Lay said…
I don't, either, though they'll say it's for their own protection. They should't be allowed to discriminate.
TomCat said…
In my much younger days, 22 maybe, I was driving home one hot summer afternoon, and I saw a nice little bar by the side of the road. I was thirsty so i stopped, went in, sat at the bar, and ordered a beer. The bar was very dark and I couldn't see anything at all, after the bright sunlight. I sipped my beer, and as my eyes adjusted to the light, I realized that the patrons were all women. My first thought was, "Damn!! I've hit the mother lode!" Then I realized that women were dancing with women, cuddling with women, necking with women, etc. Then it hit me. I sopped my beer ans gawked for a minute or two, and the bartender walked over to me and said, "You know, this is a girls' bar." I shyly mumbled something about just having realized that. She walked away. I might have stayed for another beer and to watch, out of curiosity, not animosity, but she had made it clear that I was not welcome, so when I finished my beer, I left. I don't know what might have happened had i tried to stay, but I felt I should respect their desire for privacy.

That said, I don't think it right for the gay bar to discriminate, but I do think it proper for non-gay folk to leave them alone, if that's what they want.
Anonymous said…
HA HA! Sorry, didn't see the link to the article at first...then I read it.

Seems a bit dumb but maybe there were some hetro's bashing them...who knows, seems dumb the whole thing.
pk
Rue said…
It just seems counter productive to the equality movement to me.

Popular Posts